Here are a few precious words of advice for IELTS/ PTE/ GRE/ GMAT or any other professional essay writing task. These are the “DOs“. Anything that counters these DOs are automatically DON’Ts. DOs are the things you should do in a writing task.
- Follow the rule of 10: Write sentences with about 10 words. Words can range from 7 to 14. This is the ideal sentence size you can construct accurately and an examiner can understand easily.
- Create Flow: Others call it coherence. I call it flow. There must be LINKS between different parts of a passage. This works on two levels – Essay and sentence. All paragraphs from an essay should be linked to each other. Paragraph 2, for instance, should be seen as a continuation of paragraph 1. None of the paragraphs should exist in isolation. Similarly, next sentence must be seen as a continuation of previous sentence. Like a story.
- Clarity: Others call it cohesion, I call it clarity. Ideas must be very clear when expressed in a written form. The reader must understand them fairly easily. Clarity requires correct grammar usage and strictly adhering to Rule of 10.
- Express your opinion clearly by understanding and responding to all points in an essay. I’ve seen students failing to respond to all parts of a question. You’ll in all my blog post questions that I raise this issue several times.
- One paragraph, One idea, One example: I call it the rule of 1+1+1. Each paragraph must contain one idea that is clear from the paragraph’s first sentence. Explain that idea in about 2 to 3 sentences and give a suitable example. The example should not be long, but it must have data – dates, names, organisations, results supporting your opinion.
- Use a few constructions such as “While X, Y”, “Since X, Y”, “Although X, Y”, “If X, then Y”, etcetera.
That’s it. A few simple points implemented well will make wonders for your essay. However, all this requires proper planning. So, here’s the final suggestion. Plan before you leap. Spend about 5 minutes planning what you’ll write. Once your opinion is clear, reasons supporting the opinion are on paper, example with facts is available – LEAP!
Here is a link to all essays from this website to help you practice these tips. Do not forget to share your essays.
To get professional support please visit our plans page.