Image Courtesy: Pixnio
Talk about a moment when you were happy to have a mobile phone. Please say
– Where and when was it?
– What did you do?
– Who was there with you?
Talk about a situation when you used your phone and were pleased with it. Please say
– When was it?
– What did you need to use the phone for?
– Why were you pleased afterward?
Answering this question is easy. However, scoring bands above 7 require proper use of collocation, connecting devices, grammar, and vocabulary. Let me present an answer. Try following the underlined words to improve your speaking.
Invest one minute in brainstorming about this topic’s questions. If you’ve not read my advice on developing each answer in a proper way, please read the lesson on speaking.
PLUS, you can implement the idea of collocations in this answer. Here is the link to a truly useful article: Lessons in speaking – collocations.
A Samsung S8 smart phone is my constant companion and I use it for business as well as personal purposes. I purchased the device last month in New York and was extremely excited to have it. (Name the device, when, where.)
I purchased it just before my birthday party at 9 pm. Since I had not hired a professional photographer to capture the memorable moments during the party, my friends and I were forced to use our mobiles. However, none of the phones, including iPhone 7S, could click clear pictures in dim light environment of the party. Then I used the S8. The phone not only clicked clear pictures during the night, but also gave an option to magically convert them into daylight pictures. All my friends were excited to see this feature. (What did you do? Who was there?)
Follow up Questions:
– Do you think people use their phones a lot? Well, I guess smart phones have become indispensable to a modern lifestyle. People have to use it for professional as well as personal reasons.
– How much time do people spend on mobile phones? I guess these days most people spend most of their time on the smart phones. While some people who are really addicted use these devices for a few hours every day, other spend just a few minutes.
– What should people do to stop their addiction to smart phones? They must turn-off notifications so that they are not distracted from important tasks. Moreover, these phones must be switched off during night so that an individual can have a sound sleep.
– What do you think about use of phones in a classroom or workplace? Phones must be restricted in classroom or workplace since these act as a source of distraction and prevent people from focusing on the task at hand. While classrooms are meant for education, workplace is used to accomplish organisational goals. Phones often act as a hindrance and prevent people from achieveing these targets.
– What activities do you do with your friends at home? My friends and I prefer to spend time in reading books. Since my father has a personal library, we often spend time browsing through his books and read them for hours.
– Who is using phones the most, teenagers or older people? Teenagers spend more time in using smartphones since most of them have social media accounts and they interact with their friends on these platforms. Older people, on the other hand, prefer physical one-on-one interaction.
– For what purpose do people use phones the most, in your opinion? I believe people mostly use cell phones for surfing the internet. This includes the social media.
– Is social media a good platform for advertisements? Certainly, since youngsters are the target customers for most companies and they spend most of their time on social media, it is a perfect platform for marketing.
– Is it annoying to have a person use their phone while a group is having a serious discussion? Why? Well, indeed it is annoying since it diverts everyone’s focus from the issue being discussed. Despite numerous benefits of these devices, they have one serious drawback. They have reduced the ability of individuals to focus on a task. Frequent notification divert a person’s attention and it takes longer to complete the task.