Image Courtesy: Pexels
This question appeared in December 2017 IELTS Speaking test. For July 2018 variant, please scroll down.
Talk about a big achievement you made in life. Please say
– What is it?
– Where and when was it?
– How did it help you?
Invest one minute in brainstorming about this topic’s questions. If you’ve not read my advice on developing each answer in a proper way, please read the lesson on speaking.
PLUS, you can implement the idea of collocations in this answer. Here is the link to a truly useful article: Lessons in speaking – collocations.
After completing my studies in 2015, I decided to become a painter instead of pursuing an engineering career. Though (cohesion – Though X, Y) my parents and friends were opposed to this idea, I decided to follow my passion.
After working with several famous artists (collocation), I painted a series of paintings depicting the contemporary world we live in. While (cohesion) some of them (cohesion, referencing) were about poverty and terrorism, others were on love, passion, and nature. After approaching various art houses to organize an exhibition, I was elated when Kris and company accepted my proposal and organized an exhibition on the 15th of November 2017. As a young artist, who left a career in engineering, this has been my greatest achievement (collocation) so far.
This first exhibition was immensely successful (collocation) and I sold all my paintings and earned dollars 100,000. It not only (cohesion – Not only but also) supported me financially but also earned me a respectable name (collocation) in the art community. Since then I have received more than 10 offers of painting for various clients.
Follow up questions:
– Are you still proud of it? Of course, I’m still proud of it since it earned me a name in the artist community.
– What is one of the big achievements worldwide? I guess there are numerous achievements people have made. Entrepreneurs such as Steve Jobs built Apple computers and scientists such as Thomas Edison invented electricity.
– What is the difference between young and old people in their goals? I think young people always have ambitious goals that are meant to change the world. Old people, on the other hand, have moderate goals that aim at maintaining the status quo.
– What are the main qualities of achievers? I think the greatest quality of achievers is grit. They persevere against all odds to achieve their goals. They are not ready to hears discouraging or demotivating words.
– Is it necessary to have an aim in life? Certainly, an aim in life differentiates humans from all other species in the animal kingdom. Without an aim, we cannot lead a worthy and productive life.
The following question appeared in July 2018:
Describe something you have achieved (not at school or college) that you are proud of. Please say
– What is it?
– Why did you have to do it?
– How difficult was it for you?
Please subscribe to my Youtube Channel.
Contact me for writing a polished and effective Statement of Purpose.
Contact me for Editing Services and Document Writing Services.