Talk about something that you have learned outside of school or college. Please say
– What is it?
– When and where did you learn it?
– How did you learn it?
– Who did you learn it from?
The following version appeared in May 2018:
Describe a skill that you have learned other than in college or school in your life. Please say
– What was the skill?
– How did you learn it?
– Would you like to learn it more in depth? Why?
Beyond the school and college curriculum, I have learned the art of painting. Since both of my parents were artists, they motivated me to learn an art at a young age. At the age of seven, I decided to join classes of a famous artist in New York.
The artist’s name was John Miles, who later became famous worldwide and held exhibitions from New York to Beijing and New Delhi. I learned modern art with focus on abstract forms of painting. I learned how to express contemporary realities in the modern art.
Since my mother was a singer and my father was an actor, they understood the importance of art in a more fulfilling life. They helped me find the right teacher and I learned painting from him for 14 years. During this period I learned about different color combinations and how humans in different cultures perceive different colors. I also learned to use different brushes for creating different art forms. Most importantly, he taught me that painting is not an isolated activity and it is strongly embedded in the society an artists live in. He helped me generate social, economic, and political ideas and taught me how to express these ideas in a painting. I learned during this period that art is an expression of human feelings.
- Did you like it? I love this art and I paint at least once a week.
- Was it easy or challenging for you? Why? Learning this art took me years. Certainly, the journey was not easy as I had to learn various color combinations and drawing styles. However, the most difficult part was meeting the expectations of my parents.
- Do you think adults should keep learning? Well, I guess learning should never stop. In this rapidly developing world, there is always something new to learn.
- What do you think adults should learn after college or school? Adults should keep learning even after school or college due to several reasons. Firstly, it keeps a person updated with the latest developments. Secondly, it prevents things from becoming too routine and hence boring. New things make life interesting.
- Should children be motivated to learn after school hours? Why? Schools mostly focus on academics. I think children should learn after school as well. They can, for instance, learn a new language or a new skill.
- Do you think seniors possess better knowledge than current generation? Since knowledge is a dynamic concept and it is rapidly changing these days, I think the current generation is more knowledgeable these days. It knows more about the latest technology than the previous generations.
- How much sleep do you think is sufficient for you? I guess a person should soundly sleep for about 8 hours so that his body functions normally.
- Do you think seniors need less sleep compared to younger people? I think everyone needs 8 hours of sleep irrespective of age.
- Why do you think it is? Well, I’m not sure of the scientific reason behind this. I just believe that 8 hours of sleep is necessary because of my personal experiences. I do not have a logical reason to explain this.
Please subscribe to my Youtube Channel.
Contact me for writing polished and effective Statement of Purpose.
Contact me for Editing Services and Document Writing Services.