Talk about a letter that you have received recently. Please say
– Who sent it to you?
– What did it say?
– Why was it important?
Invest one minute in brainstorming about this topic’s questions. If you’ve not read my advice on developing each answer in a proper way, please read the lesson on speaking.
PLUS, you can implement the idea of collocations in this answer. Here is the link to a truly useful article: Lessons in speaking – collocations.
I’m working as a nurse at one of the most reputed public hospitals in New Delhi. Last year, I was traveling from Mumbai to Chennai by airplane when suddenly the plane had to make a crash landing and several people got injured. Unfortunately, there was no doctor on the flight and I was the only trained medical practitioner. I immediately responded to the emergency situation and directed crew members and youngsters on board to help the passengers in need. I used my medical training to treat several injured people and gave useful tips to the people attending the elderly.
The news of my efforts soon reached the government and media houses. I not only became a household name in Kerala, my home state, but also received a letter of appreciation from the President of India.
In this letter, the President thanked me on behalf of all the citizens of this country and invited me for a lunch at his official residence in New Delhi. Moreover, he mentioned that on the next republic day I will be honored with the President’s medal as a mark of service to the nation. I was thrilled to read this. He also mentioned that he had written a letter to the Director of my hospital requesting him to promote me from a nurse to head of all nurses. I felt really excited on reading this news.
- Are printed letters important in your job? Well, not all forms of communication can be carried out through electronic media. Since I’m working in a hospital, we have to maintain paper-based communication as well.
- Why is it so? In a hospital, doctors and nurses do not have time as well as access to electronic devices at all times. Consequently, the management conveys important decisions through printed letters.
- What features are important in professional communication? A professional communication should have several important characteristics. Firstly, it should be clearly written in a simple language since there should not be any scope for miscommunication. Secondly, it should contain adequate information so that there is not much scope for interpretation. Finally, it should be in a proper format which is universally accepted in all formal communications.
- Do you prefer printed or electronic information? Why? I prefer electronic information as it is readily available. There is a negligible waiting time involved. Printed information, on the other hand, takes a lot of time to reach the intended beneficiary. Thus, it is not desirable in the fast-paced modern era.
- Do you think future historians will be able to analyze us in 50 years? Well, historians have tools to adequately analyze the previous generations. As today’s historians have sufficiently studied the past generations, tomorrow’s historians will be able to study the present generation.
- Will it be easy, in your opinion? I guess it will be a relatively easier task as compared to the task of today’s historians. Since humans are recording every bit of data today, future’s historians will have a proper information about us. Moreover, they will have the support of powerful computers to study billions of terabytes of data and find the most relevant information.
Follow this blog and like our Facebook page to learn exciting new essays and cue cards. You can contact me HERE.
Please subscribe to my Youtube Channel.
Contact me for writing polished and effective Statement of Purpose.
Contact me for Editing Services and Document Writing Services.
Categories: Blog, speaking task
Leave a Reply