Occupational English Test
Writing Sub-Test: Medicine
Reading Time: 5 minutes; Writing Time: 40 minutes
Read the case notes and complete the writing task which follows:
Patient: Mr. Alex Turner
Age: 54 years, 7 months
- Occasional drinker
- 1978: Knee injury during an accident
- 1982: Whiplash injury
- 1982: Mild Asthma
- 2000: Hypertension
- 2012: Depression
- Pain in joints, wrist, knees.
- February 2018: Redness in eyes, Episcleritis in eyes
- Sensitivity and tenderness in ears – 3 months ago
- Red and sore ears – 6 weeks ago
- Ringing feeling in ears
- Auricular inflammation
- Swollen pinnae
- ECG, Chest X-ray, lung function tests normal
- No related respiratory tract or cardiovascular involvement
- Provisional Diagnosis: Relapsing Polychondritis (RP) suspected.
- Refer ENT doctor for an opinion and conduct test for RP.
Using the information in the case notes, write a letter of referral for further investigation and definitive diagnosis to the otorhinolaryngologist (ENT doctor), Dr. Amit Dhar, Sydney Hospital, 21 Elizabeth Street, Sydney.
If you’re a doctor and wish to take this test, feel free to email your answer at email@example.com
Please read the sample answer HERE.