Occupational English Test
Writing Sub-Test: Medicine
Reading Time: 5 minutes; Writing Time: 40 minutes
Read the case notes and complete the writing task which follows:
Patient: Mr. Jones
- Plumber for 30 years.
- DoB: 05 January 1972.
- 20 cigarettes a day since age 12.
- Divorced – 7 years ago.
- Father died of cardiac arrest.
- 1990: Broke Arm. No doctor visits since then.
- 2014: Smokers cough without blood. No wheeze.
- Stable weight.
- Progressive breathlessness on exertion.
- No chest tightness on exertion
- No fist clubbing.
- Abundant tar staining.
- Pulse: Sinus rhythm. Hard to feel.
- BP: 108/88 mm Hg
- Auscultation: crepitation at left base.
- High Hb
- Respiratory disorder suspected (Lung carcinoma suspected)
- Stenosis suspected (Hb – upper end)
- Refer to a cardiologist for an opinion on possible Aortic Stenosis.
Using the information in the case notes, write a letter of referral for further investigation and definitive diagnosis to the cardiologist, Dr. Janet, London Hospital, 11 Baker’s Street, London.
Please read the sample answer HERE.