Talk about an interesting talk or lecture that you attended recently. Please say
– When and where was it?
– Who gave the lecture?
– What was the main topic?
IELTS Cue Card, July 2017: Talk about an interesting conversation you had or a speech you heard.
I am a student and I regularly attend various guest lectures which are mostly academic in content. Last month, however, I attended a TED talk on motivation in San Francisco. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, and Design. (Introductory statement, When and Where.)
This talk had several speakers all of whom had been victims of something and had persevered against all odds. One of them was an amputee who lost a leg in a car accident. After several years of struggle, hard work and dedication, she developed mental and physical strength to climb Mount Everest, the highest peak on Earth. Another person suffered from a terminal illness and was expected to live for not more than one year. Still, he decided to dedicate the remaining years of his life in the service of humanity. He pooled resources from Britain and Germany to start shelters for poor people in Bangladesh. (Who gave the talk. EXPLAIN the talks.)
The main theme of all these stories was motivation. These people, despite unfortunate circumstances, were inclined to achieve something and had a sharp focus to serve society. I was deeply inspired by their stories and decided to make the best of my life. (Main topic. Explain the topic.)
– What qualities are important for public speaking? I think the greatest quality is developing a connection with the audience. A speaker must have the pulse of the people. She must understand their emotions. Moreover, she should have an excellent command over the language so that the message is communicated in the right words.
– Do you think confidence is more important than other skills? Well, I think it is as important as other skills. It crops from a strong command over language, a mastery over the topic and an understanding of the audience.
– What occupations in your country need public speaking skills? In my country, public speaking is limited to leadership roles. Various political, business, non-profit leaders engage in public speaking.
– Do you think it is important for children to learn these skills? I think it is absolutely necessary for children to have strong communication skills. This gives them the confidence to interact with others.
– How can people improve their public speaking skills? Well, the easiest way is by speaking more. However, that speaking should not be with family members or friends. A person should speak with strangers.
Follow this blog and like our Facebook page to learn exciting new essays and cue cards. You can contact me HERE.
Please subscribe to my Youtube Channel.
Contact me for writing a polished and effective Statement of Purpose.
Contact me for Editing Services and Document Writing Services.
Categories: Blog, speaking task
Leave a Reply